Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Blogging on a Blood Sugar Crash

I am ready to be done nursing PJ.  I'm simply not one of those moms who can't bear ending this "precious bonding experience".  God made cows for good reason, and dairy farmers are not out to poison our children.  Some might label me as a lazy, "early quitter"....one of "those mothers" who doesn't diligently Google Dr. Sears to understand the possibility of allergies, bowel stress, or any other calamity which might strike my child from weaning him two months prior to the hallowed 12-Month Mark (that milestone in life when cow's milk magically transubstantiates into the nourishing beverage of choice).  However, nursing is not so much of an "inconvenience" to me as it is a health hazard.  If I don't eat something substantial every two hours, my blood sugar crashes--hard.  Breastfeeding books flabbergast me with their suggestions of stocking your nursing station with "healthy snacks", i.e. whole wheat crackers.  Yes-- crackers.  Come off it, La Leche League, are you serious?!  Plant my glider by a fridge full of burritos, sister, and I'll show you a well-stocked nursing station.  "Grazing" does nothing except spur me on towards greener pastures:  beef and bacon.  If you have ever viewed footage of a lion enjoying his prey, you have witnessed a tender moment in the life of this nursing mommy.  And, unfortunately, if said lion hunts in the midst of famine, you have just glimpsed a day at our house prior to a grocery run.  Such is the life of a nursing mother with a ridiculously high metabolism.  Even Will's play food starts to look yummy if you add a tad of salt.  So there you have it--I am switching my son to whole milk for the good of the entire family...and tonight I'm buying more groceries.

2 comments:

  1. AMEN Anne! Switched Hunter at 10 mo., Sawyer at 9 mo and yes... Tanner was about 8 mo. I love my a weaned baby!

    Shana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you clarified it's you commenting on this post about nursing, Shana. ;)

    ReplyDelete