Monday, November 1, 2010

A Quilt Completed

It's finally finished!

I've been saving old jeans for the past six years because I have always wanted to make a denim quilt.  Since I never seem to complete anything for myself, I decided to make this one for Will.



It's a log cabin block design, which I arranged into a diamond pattern.  It was actually one of the easiest tops to piece, thank you chaining technique!  The hardest part was cutting apart piles of jeans and also threading the yarn ties.  I had "cherry fingers" for a few days after all that tying.

I love the creating and piecing part of quilting, but I'm not fond of binding.  This quilt was particularly difficult because my machine would not handle the denim's thickness.  Fortunately, the Upholsterer's Wife asked her upholsterer husband, and he blazed a trail of thread right through all layers with his industrial sewing machine.  Thanks, handsome upholstery man!
I know a quilt may not be very meaningful for a little boy right now, but I hope it endures years of cold winter nights, blanket forts, parachute landing mats, etc. so that one day he will treasure a special gift from his mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment